Sunday 17 October 2010

Anorak activity book


I discovered Anorak - "the happy magazine for kids" - last year when I was sent one of their magazines to review and I fell in love with the quirkiness and loony sense of humour. You can read my review here. Well, they've now branched out into activity books and colouring books so I was really happy to be offered an activity book for review.

As soon as it arrived, Sophie recognised the style of writing and the slightly psychedelic pictures and squealed, "Ooooh it's that really funny magazine we got last year ! Can I read it now ?!" I explained that this time it was an activity book and she ran off to get her felt tips excitedly.

As I said in my review of the magazine, I get a real sense of nostalgia whenever I read anything from Anorak because the retro style always takes me back to the magazines I loved as a kid in the 70's. I don't know if anyone remembers the "magic pen" activity books that were available back then, where you coloured in the right areas for the answers to appear in invisible ink ? Well, these look just as funky and have the same "vintage" look.


Sophie loved all the activities - there are mazes, spot the difference, drawing activities, colouring pages ... - and did the whole book cover to cover in one session. My one criticism is that there are only 32 pages so it doesn't take very long to complete and works out relatively expensive, compared to other activity books, but the style is inimitable. Sophie said it was much better than the activity books I normally buy for her and can I buy her the next one that comes out too, please ?! If you're looking for Christmas present ideas and want to avoid the same old same old, a subscription to Anorak would be a great gift for teens and tweens.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £3.50

Other reviews you may be interested in :



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...