Sunday 24 October 2010

Jordans Crunchy Oats with Tropical Fruits


I like Jordans products. Whether they be Frusli bars, Country Crisp, muesli or porridge, I haven't yet found anything made by Jordans that I haven't liked. But, I admit it, when I was asked to review some of their Crunchy Oats, I was expecting something tasty but a bit same-ole-same-old.

The Jordans website explains that their Crunchy Oats are inspired by American granola. "Sometimes the best discoveries are made while you're concentrating on something else. This was certainly the case with Bill Jordan. He tasted Granola cereal for the first time while travelling in California during the late 60s as the drummer in a rock band. Almost 40 years later, his mission to replicate granola's delicious toasted oat and honey clusters, resulted in what we now know and love, as the Jordans ‘Crunchy Oats' range."

Well, I have to admit, I've never been really all that inspired by American granola. I've never actually tasted any real American granola but the recipes and pictures I've seen don't look very exciting. On Wikipedia, they say : "Granola is a breakfast food and snack food consisting of rolled oats, nuts, honey, and sometimes rice, that is usually baked until crispy. During the baking process the mixture is stirred to maintain a loose, breakfast cereal-type consistency. Dried fruits, such as raisins and dates, are sometimes added" and the picture looks less than appetising.

I was therefore totally unprepared for the mindblowing blend of exotic flavours and delicious crispiness that startled my tastebuds when I ate my first spoonful of Jordans Crunchy Oats with Tropical Fruits. It is so deliciously sweet and moreish that I grabbed the bag to read the label, convinced that it must be packed with added sugar to taste so good. Well,the main ingredient that it contains, accounting for a whopping 65%, is British Conservation Grade Wholegrain Oat Flakes but next on the list is indeed Raw Cane Sugar. Much of the fabulous taste comes from the tropical fruit - a mixture of dried sweetened papaya, pineapple, banana and coconut which accounts for 15% of ingredients and guarantees that you'll get at least one piece of sweet, succulent, juicy fruit in each spoonful. The only other ingredients are Vegetable Oil (specifically Rapeseed and Palm Oil), Honey (1%), Sunflower Seeds, Chopped Almonds and Natural Vanilla Flavouring. That's it - no dodgy E-numbers or sinister sounding artificial additives at all.

100g of product contains 434 calories, which means a 50g bowl with 100ml semi-skimmed milk will provide you with 264 calories. That's quite reasonable for a healthy (and above all delicious) start to the day - or end to the day as I admit, I've been eating a bowlful as an instant satisfying supper when I don't feel like a big meal (or, more to the point, I do feel like eating some Crunchy Oats !).

I've mentioned spoonfuls and bowlfuls several times in this review but if I'm perfectly honest, I often just grab a sneaky handful to graze on straight out of the pack because it's almost addictive ! It's also delicious if you add a handful into yoghurt or a few handfuls in your bread machine mix or apple crumble topping. I'm sure I could have found some more innovative ways to eat it but the bag was empty before my inspiration ran dry !

It is also available in two other varieities - Crunchy Oats with Raisins, Almonds & Honey and Crunchy Oats with Special Fruits and Nuts - but I'll definitely be popping a bag (or two or three, if it's on offer !) of the Tropical fruit variety in my trolley the next time I go shopping !


star rating : 5/5

RRP : £2.99 for 750g


Other reviews you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...