Saturday 2 October 2010

Badger Balm Hand Balm and Cuticle Care


Before the summer, I received a selection of extremely cute little tins of various Badger balms to try out and review. Most of them were instantly tested and oohed and aahed over but, for some reason, I never got round to using the Cuticle Care and Healing Balm for Hardworking Hands. Well, after having a lightbulb moment this week (when I reviewed Scholl footcare products) and realising how unloved and uncared for my feet were, I decided to give my hands some serious pampering too.

I suppose one of the reasons that I didn't immediately reach for the hand balms when they arrived was that my hands didn't need much TLC over the summer months as they were anything but "hardworking" ! However, all good things come to an end and now that I've gone back to work after the summer break, they are certainly feeling drier and rougher. As a teacher, I spend several hours a day with my hands caked in chalk dust and I think that this, combined with the daily waits at the bus stop in the cold wind and rain, always ends up taking its toll on my hands.

Having been really impressed by the other Badger balms that I'd tried, I was keen to see if these handcare balms would have any effect on the condition of my hands. I started off with the Healing Balm for Hardworking Hands. I have to admit, teaching isn't exactly a manual job so I wouldn't say my hands are particularly overworked but after spending my free hour at the photo copier and guillotine cutting up worksheets and tests, I did have a painful collection of tiny paper cuts. They look so pathetic - in fact, you can hardly even see them - but they are really sore, especially if you peel onions or use harsh cleaning products afterwards which really sting. Well, I smeared a little Badger balm over my hands and they felt instantly soothed and, even better, seemed sealed so that irritants couldn't find their way in and make them sting.

The balm smells nice and herbal but I couldn't define the scent so I turned to the website for information. It mentions "the mild wintergreen-like scent of Sweet Birch, which has been traditionally used as an antiseptic, a muscle rub, and to ease the occasional symptoms of skin problems like psoriasis and eczema". Ahhh that would explain the natural, leafy smell then. The balm contains a whole host of natural, organic goodies, including Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Golden Yellow Beeswax, Castor Oil, Aloe Vera Extract and Essential Oil of Sweet Birch, and it is free from chemical nasties. It feels slightly greasy on the skin but not excessively so and you can instantly feel the hydrating, smoothing and softening effects of the balm on your hands because your hands feel softer and less dry.

Right, time to move on to the Cuticle Care Balm. As a kid, I used to bite my nails and although I've now stopped, I do tend to nibble my cuticles if I'm stressed or bored. Sophie is the same and actually makes hers bleed sometimes. Definitely a couple of girlies in need of some cuticle care then !

After grinning at the cute picture of Miss Badger showing off her claws, I twisted the lid of the tin and breathed in. Wow ! Again, it's undefinable but smells lovely and obviously natural. This smells a bit more girlie than the hand balm, which is definitely unisex, but I assume women will be more interested in looking after their cuticles than men ! The ingredients list is impressively natural and chemical-free : Wild African Shea Butter, *Extra Virgin Olive Oil, *Castor Oil, *Golden Yellow Beeswax, *Seabuckthorn Berry Extract, and Essential Oils of *Geranium, *Ginger, *Cardamom, *Rosemary, *Litsea Cubeba, *Mandarin & *Lemongrass. Each of those little stars means Certified Organic.

The website says you should "use it regularly and expect results" but I could immediately feel and see the difference after just one application. I decided to smoothe the balm over the whole of my nails as well as the cuticles and left it on overnight. I was really impressed to see that all the little rough edges and sore redness had totally disappeared. Sophie also pointed out that it doesn't sting at all, which is also really good.

I've reviewed several of the Badger balms and related products, but I would advise you to go and check out their website to see the whole range because it's huge. They have some really surprising products available, like a balm to relieve headaches, an anti-bug balm, a cheerful mind balm, a clear mind balm and a stress soother. All of the products I've tested have been lovely to use and really effective so they are definitely worth trying out. The cute little tins make them great stocking fillers too.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £3.99 for 21g, £6.99 for 56g

Other reviews you may be interested in :
 
Badger Sunscreen SPF15
 
Badger Bali Balm - Soothing After Sun Care
 
Badger Baby Balm
 
Badger Night Night Balm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...