Tuesday 12 October 2010

Children's book review : Haunted - Dorling Kindersley


First of all, I have to say that the jacket image doesn't do justice to the wonderful ooooh-inspiring front cover which features a spooky hologram which will impress your kids before they've even opened the book !

I've received several fabulous new books from DK Books' autumn collection (which I'm busy reviewing so watch this space !) and they're all lovely but I have to admit that I was slightly unsure about this one. As a grown-up, I love Most Haunted but I won't watch it in front of the kids because I know it will freak them out and give them nightmares ! The reading age for this book is 12+ and, even if 9-year-old Sophie has enjoyed the other books with the same suggested reading age, I do feel she's a bit young for this one. The content isn't overly gory or scary but I know that it would be a lethal nightmare-inducing cocktail when combined with her fertile imagination and general scaredy-cat-ness ! I've therefore held this one back and will give it to her when she's older - but I have to say, I've been reading it myself and it's fascinating !

It's absolutely perfect for Halloween, dealing with all sort of monsters and ghosts and things that go bump in the night that will have your spine tingling ! I love the "Dr Doubt" character who introduces the book and frequently comments to give the sceptic's view on all things paranormal. It's great for kids to learn that they shouldn't just take everything at face value and that some supposedly-paranormal things can be explained scientifically.

I did feel that the very thick cardboard-like pages were a bit unnecessary and wasteful of resources but on the back of the back, DK do promise to try to be greener and cleaner by using paper from responsibly-managed forests whenever possible and asking their printers to actively reduce water and energy consumption so maybe it's not quite as un-environmentally friendly as it looks. The chunky hardback cover would adequately protect the pages with normal paper though and I'm not sure readers aged 12+ will actually like the "baby's board book" feel of the pages.

It's a great book to dip into if you like horror stories and all things spooky and the fabulous photography and colourful pictures will even appeal to reluctant readers.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £14.99

Format: Hardback

ISBN: 9781405354141
Size: 215 x 250mm
Pages : 96
Publication date: 01 Sep 2010
Publisher: Dorling Kindersley

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Children's book review : How To Do Everything - Dorling Kindersley
Children's book review : The Big Ideas That Changed The World - Dorling Kindersley
 Children's book review : Danger - Dorling Kindersley
Children's book review : Know It All - Dorling Kindersley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...