Tuesday 10 September 2013

Slow cooker recipe : Shank of Beef


Autumn's on its way so I've dug out my slow cooker again ! Madhouse Daddy came back from the butcher's with these huge shanks of beef so I decided that slow cooking was the way to go.


I seasoned them with a selection of spices - garlic granules, Turkish spices, garlic pepper and some intriguing Red Salt from Hawaii that Steenbergs sent through and that I will be telling you all about after I've experimented with it some more.


I always like to start off my meat on the hob, browning it off to give it some nice colour and seal in all the juices, before transferring it to the slow cooker.


I then deglazed the pan with some water to make sure I didn't lose any of the beautiful flavours from the pan juices and added it to the slow cooker.


I put the meat and juices, some onions and mushrooms and a little beef stock in the slow cooker and left it to cook for 5 hours.


Served with root mash (a mix of mashed potatoes, swede, carrots and parsnips), it made a lovely change for this week's Sunday dinner.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Slow-cooker recipe : Indonesian Chicken

2 comments:

  1. I must get out my slow cooker, its freezing today. This looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - I was supposed to be making Spring rolls last night but it was just too cold so we went for soup instead !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...