Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tideford Organic Classic Porridge review


I've just eaten a pot of TLC for dinner. Well, that's what it felt like anyway ! I've got a cold, I also had a headache, it's been a mad rush of a day and, after cooking for the kids, I just couldn't be bothered to sort out something else for me and Madhouse Daddy to eat after he got home from his weekly meeting. So he had a bagel and I had a pot of Tideford Organic Classic Porridge. Instant food !


I wasn't sure how it would turn out because it comes ready made in a pot, I'd put it in the freezer (it arrived during the summer and I only eat porridge when it's cold !) and I was now going to microwave it from frozen. Not really giving it the best chance to shine ! But it came back perfectly. This gloopy, thick, creamy texture is exactly how I love my porridge (although it starts off milkier and runnier, if that's how you prefer yours).


I had a taste (once it had cooled down - it was stupidly hot to begin with), expecting to need to add sugar or honey and maybe some fruit, and was surprised to see that it didn't need anything. It must already have sugar in it (I'll check in a minute) and it has a delicate, satisfying cinnamon flavour coming through.

I've just checked the packaging and it does indeed contain sugar - the complete ingredients list is Whole Milk, Water, Porridge Oats (10%), Sugar, Cinnamon (0.1%). There's nothing at all that you wouldn't find in a regular kitchen (no hidden nasties) and 100% of the agriculture ingredients are produced in accordance with the rules of organic production.

The 250g pot is perfect for a satisfying breakfast or a light lunch or dinner. 100g contains 102 calories, 3.6g protein, 13.3g carbs (of which sugars 6.7g), 3.6g fat (of which saturates 1.9g) and 1.2g fibre.

The creamy, smooth porridge is lovely and warming and really perked me up. It does work out more expensive than buying a packet of oats and making your own but if you want an instant option, it is well worth a try. There is also a vanilla version available.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £1.45 for 250g


Disclosure : I received a selection of Tideford products in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...