Saturday 28 September 2013

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #13 : Baba Ghanouj (Lebanon)


I'm not really keen on aubergines so I have to admit, I've been putting off making the Baba Ghanouj recipe from my Kitchen Nomad box. Having seen several people saying that it's their favourite recipe from the collection though, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try.



The recipe (that you can see on the Kitchen Nomad website) calls for three ingredients from the Lebanon box : Sumac, Tahini and Pomegranate Molasses. (I told you more about those the first time I used them here.)


 The first thing to do was bake a few aubergines - as I wasn't really expecting to be keen on it, I just used one, and popped it in the oven to cook at the same time as my cottage pie. (I always try to multitask when using the oven as it saves energy, so I often throw a few potatoes to bake in the bottom of the oven with the roast, for example.)


I left it to cool and kept it in the fridge until the next day when I peeled it and blitzed it, adding tahini and lemon juice to create a thick dip.


It tasted ok but nothing special until I added the mint, sumac and pomegranate molasses, plus my secret ingredient - a couple of sprays of Frylight BBQ flavoured cooking spray which added a lovely smokiness - after which I was amazed to discover that I really liked it. Some strips of flatbread were perfect for dipping into it.


Disclosure : I received a Kitchen Nomad box in order to write an honest review. 


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

3 comments:

  1. I love baba ganoush, used to buy it often when we lived in the States, it was very popular there, but for some reason the British supermarkets don't seem to offer it. I noticed recently the aubergine dip in Waitrose, which looks very much like baba ganoush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed on the recipe card that you can make it with courgette or pumpkin too. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never made baba ganoush and I love it. Thanks for bringing this to Food of the World. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...